Wisconsin Fast Plants are an ideal model organism for observing and learning about inheritance patterns! Monohybrid and Dihybrid crosses demonstrate Mendelian patterns while other genetic stocks provide opportunity for observing cytoplasmic traits and developing of selection experiments.
What inheritance patterns are observable in Fast Plants?
- Mendelian traits: monohybrid cross
- this investigation focuses on the genetics of the plant stem color trait
- Mendelian traits: dihybrid crosses (Who’s the Father? investigation)
- option 1: focuses on the genetics of two plant traits: stem color and leaf color
- option 2: focuses on the genetics of two plant traits: stem color and dwarfism
- Maternally (cytoplasmic) inherited traits
- Heritability of traits following selection or environmental pressure